Friday, June 6, 2008

Father of twins

by Wanton Davis

On March 12, 2008, my wife and I were blessed with the arrival of twins, a boy and a girl – the newest additions to our expanded family. We also have a two and a half year old daughter. Needless to say, there is never a dull moment in our household. There are many occasions where all three children are in tears and this gives a new meaning to the word “multitasking”. Even though things can get a bit chaotic, I wouldn’t trade this situation for the world.

My twins, Piper and Cody were born premature at 34 weeks and had to spend some time in the UCLA Santa Monica NICU. They were born healthy, but just needed a little assistance adapting to life outside the womb – “feeders and growers” is what they are called. Although we were assured that everything would be fine, nothing can describe the feeling of going home without your children. After a couple of weeks, my twins came home and the real fun began. We found out just how much attention twins get! People are constantly stopping us to ask questions: Are you getting any sleep? Was it natural or did you have help? Do twins run in your family? Are they identical? (No, a boy and girl are never identical!) While I get all of the questions, but this so quickly became just my life. Only a parent of multiples would understand a double latching or how quickly a jumbo pack of diapers can disappear.

Although they share a special bond, my wife and I have discussed the importance of not categorizing them as “The Twins”, and to encourage individuality. I know the years ahead will bring excitement to say the least, and I am thrilled to watch the unique relationships that my children will share.

0 comments: