Similac Recall 2010:
How to Keep Your Kids Safe
Abbott, the manufacturer, said they feared the "remote possibility" that some product may have beetles or their larvae.
"While the formula containing these beetles poses no immediate health risk, infants who consume formula containing the beetles or their larvae, could experience symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort and refusal to eat as a result of small insect parts irritating the GI tract," the company said in a press release. "If these symptoms persist for more than a few days, a physician should be consulted."
As of Thursday morning, Abbott's recall website was unresponsive, making it difficult for parents to figure out if they purchased recalled formula. Abbott public relations rep Melissa Brotz told CBS News that the company had expanded phone lines at their hotline to help.
Parents can call (800) 986-8850 for information.
Here's what we know.
Affected Product Lines Include
- Certain Similac powder product lines offered in plastic containers.
- Certain Similac powder product lines offered in sizes such as 8-ounce, 12.4-ounce and 12.9-ounce cans.
- Similac Advance
- Similac Advance EarlyShield
- Similac Sensitive
- Similac Isomil Advance
- Similac Sensitive Isomil Soy
- Similac Organic
- Similac Organic and Similac Advance Organic
- Similac Sensitive R.S.
- Similac Sensitive for Spit-Up
- Similac Go & Grow
- Similac Go & Grow EarlyShield
- Similac Go & Grow Soy
According to one aggregator, the following lots are included in the recall. CBS News was able to confirm the first two numbers with Abbott's website before it crashed. The manufacturer has not yet responded to confirm the other numbers.
87932T20, 88117T26, 78208T2,88136T20,91433t20,800-986-8850,800-545-5216,800-515-7677,800-986-8800,847-937-6100,(847) 935-8865,(847)935-3456,66128RB6,61251 RB6,61347RB,84314 RB,85454 T2,86580 T20,88137T20 and 90372T20
The lot number should be located on the bottom of the product. Click here for a bigger picture.
What's Not Recalled
- Similac powder formula in cans with the following letter and/or number combination in the middle of the lot number - T3 or RE or 9V or NT - are NOT being recalled.
- All Similac liquid formulas are NOT part of the recall.
- Powder and liquid specialty formulas, such as Similac Expert CareTM Alimentum?, Elecare?, Similac Expert CareTM Neosure?, Similac? Human Milk Fortifier, and metabolic formulas (for inherited disorders) are NOT part of the recall.
Abbott urges parents to send recalled products back to them at no cost. You need to call the hotline at (800) 986-8850 (24/7) or try the website at www.similac.com/recall to complete the process. Here's the full press release from the FDA's website.
Posted by Neil Katz