By Cheryl Petran, CEO of The Pump Station & Nurtury™
Daniela will be 7 in April. In my new role as a parent, I’ve desperately tried to find ways to get in a quick powerful workout that leaves me wanting more. SoulCycle gives me that and more. I’d like to share with you some of the reasons why I think they are an amazing resource for new parents... oddly I came up with 11 …. My lucky number….
- The instructors, the staff – from the moment you walk in until the moment you leave you are surrounded by the positive energy of everyone that works there. They are pleasant, thoughtful, and welcoming to everyone. Thank them – they’ve earned that.
- It’s dark! No makeup. Hair in a pony-tail. Comfy workout clothes. Heaven.
- The music – I love music, I love being surrounded by music - even the genres of music I don’t love – I love when I’m there. Try the different instructors – they hand pick their music for each ride - you’ll find some speak to you more than others. Some speak to you on some days,
- It’s dark! Did I mention that already? Just you, riding by yourself, but part of a pack. Part of a group of people all heading in one direction together, and it’s a positive one.
- The most productive 45 minutes of exercising you can find as a new parent. Let’s face it, finding “me-time” as a parent is tough. We take what we can get. This is by far the best 45 minute sweat you can get – with such positive energy.
- It gets easier, really. First ride I thought I was going to die. By my 3rd ride I was disappointed when the ride was over. I wanted more.
- You set your bar. It’s not a competition. The instructors will tell you, listen to your body. They are not telling you what you have to do, they are just guiding you. Do what you are comfortable with – don’t do anything more than what you are comfortable with. It’s dark, no one can see what you are or aren’t doing.
- Me-time – 45 minutes of time for me and me alone. Yes, while I’m there I’m thinking about my daughter, my family, my life, my work – but I’m doing it while I’m doing something amazingly good for me!
- Endorphins…. According to Dr. Jill Campbell, The Pump Station & Nurtury's on-staff psychologist, exercise will boost the release of endorphins, a mood elevator that provides you with a sense of well-being. In addition, when you are doing something good for your body, you feel more in control and connected to your body. This helps you to be kinder and less critical of yourself. When you are doing something healthy for your body, you can’t help but feel better about it.
- “Aspire to Inspire” – Boldly printed on the wall of their SaMo studio – I read this and think, “I just have to do my best to inspire my daughter. I don’t have to be an inspiration all the time.” I leave there feeling that if I aspire to inspire her I will probably be successful. I’m good with that. Parenting is hard; all I can do is my best.
- Community – one of the most powerful messages often shared during a ride – “if you need to slow up, that’s ok, get in the saddle – ride at your pace - everyone in this room has your back” – It speaks to who we are at The Pump Station & Nurtury. We are your pack. We are here to help and support. We welcome you to come in and let us take care of you.
Calling All Mommies!
There's nothing more invigorating than getting ready for the Spring feeling healthy and inspired. And for a little bit of extra motivation, SoulCycle welcomes The Pump Station!
The Pump Station & Nurtury™ moms will receive complimentary SoulCycle classes at SoulCycle Beverly Hills and SoulCycle Santa Monica through the end of April. Class and shoe rental will be complimentary. Just create an account at Soul-Cycle.com and call the studio to book your bike. How easy is that?
Offer valid for the below studios and times: (good through April 31, 2014)
SoulCycle Beverly Hills - Monday-Friday 9:30AM and 10:30AM
9465 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills , CA 90212
SoulCycle Santa Monica - Tuesday-Thursday 9:30AM
120 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90401
**PLEASE NOTE: Classes start PROMPTLY. Attendees are suggested to arrive at least 15 minutes prior in order to sign-in, rent cycling shoes and get set up on their bikes. For everyone's safety, anyone who arrives 5 minutes after class time will not be permitted to take class.
See you on a bike!!